Aptitude Version of Moo
/10 with 60 votes
Posted Thursday, March 16 in Debian GNU/Linux
The ubuntu fish...
$ aptitude moo
There are no Easter Eggs in this program.
$ aptitude -v moo
There really are no Easter Eggs in this program.
$ aptitude -vv moo
Didn't I already tell you that there are no Easter Eggs in this program?
Keep on adding -v's until after... more
/10 with 43 votes
Posted Saturday, June 9 in Linux
This no doubt works in versions of ubuntu below feisty too, though I don't know how far back and it might not be ubuntu specific, it might just be gnome.
No Super Cow Powers for Aptitude?
Press alt+f2 to get the run dialogue box
Enter "free the fish" without the quotes of course
/10 with 104 votes
Posted Tuesday, November 16 in Linux
Pinball Mouse Control (not an egg)
Although aptitude, the successor to apt-get does not have Super Cow powers (typing "aptitude --help" brings up a help screen that informs you of this at the end), it does have an easter egg.
1.Type "aptitude moo" & press ENTER
aptitude responds... more
/10 with 88 votes
Posted Tuesday, February 12 in Windows XP
This is a cool egg if youare rubbish at microsoft pinball or just want to make your friends know that you rule. This is how to do it:
Press start, All programs, games, Pinball.
When you are in pinball wait until the ball appears ahd then type in... more
/10 with 153 votes
Posted Thursday, March 16 in Mac OS X
Apt-Get and Super Cow Powers
Bring up the Weather widget:
Open the Dashboard, either by clicking its icon in the Dock or by pressing the 'F12" button on your keyboard.
Click on the '+' sign in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen to load up the widget bar.
Locate the 'Weather'... more
/10 with 318 votes
Posted Wednesday, September 4 in Linux
1. Type apt-get help. If the egg is present one, there will be a line "This APT has Super Cow Powers."
2. Type apt-get moo and you will see a picture of a cow drawn in ascii and message "have you mooed today?"
You do not need root permissions to do... more
/10 with 233 votes
Posted Thursday, July 18 in Debian GNU/Linux
Easier Way to Force Win in Solitaire
The Advanced Package Tool (APT) is a part of the software management system for Debian. Analogous to RedHat's RPM, but infinitely more capable, APT features automatic dependency handling and much more. If you're not a Linux type, it's like Windows Update... more
/10 with 1052 votes
Posted Friday, June 18 in Windows XP
Hidden Amiga Messages
Select the 'Timed game' and 'Standard' scoring options, then play for over 30 seconds. Press Alt + Shift + 2 (above 'w', not keypad 2). This will end the game, add a bonus to your score, and play the celebration. After the celebration (which may be... more
/10 with 239 votes
Posted Sunday, July 25 in Amiga
Commodore 128 System Programmers
1. Hold Left-Shift, Left-Alt, Right-Shift and right-alt
2. Press any of the F keys and get a message!
3. To get a rude message toward Commodore, do this
4. Hold down the same as step 1 and hold down an f key
5. Insert a disk and you get the message... more
/10 with 89 votes
Posted Tuesday, March 13 in Commodore 128
1. Boot machine
This Is Not DOS
2. Type: SYS 32800,123,45,6
3. A list of system programmers is displayed
/10 with 180 votes
Posted Wednesday, April 26 in Mac OS X Server
On the login panel, press Control-Option-Del.
Change Your Windows Decor
An alert panel will pop up with "This is not DOS".
/10 with 228 votes
Posted Sunday, July 25 in BeOS
Hidden Recipes in Release Notes
1. Hold the CTRL+ALT+SHIFT keys and click on the Be button on the deskbar.
2. You will see a previously hidden menu item called "Window Decor."
3. There are several options available to you there, you can make all of your windows look like the BeOS,... more
/10 with 72 votes
Posted Thursday, July 15 in Irix
1. Open a shell
The Perfect Hand in Solitaire
2. Type in: relnotes dmedia_eoe 29
3. (This is for IRIX 6.5, the exact page number varies between OS releases)
4. Enjoy the recipes for Kung Pao Chicken and Tiramisu
/10 with 199 votes
Posted Wednesday, January 26 in Windows CE
Credits in BBC Micro OS ROM
It’s frustrating trying to get a good hand in solitaire. With a little trick, you can make things much easier.
Using the software keyboard, tap Control, tap Shift, then tap the Deal button at the top, and you'll get a perfect hand of solitaire.... more
/10 with 64 votes
Posted Tuesday, June 6 in BBC Micro OS (all versions?)
Alternate Intro to Games
1. Find an old BBC Micro or a ROM image of the operating system.
2. If a BBC Micro, extract the OS ROM (not the BASIC ROM) and read the contents.
3. Look at locations 3C00-3EFF. These are 'dead' space in the ROM, normally hidden by custom hardware.
/10 with 226 votes
Posted Tuesday, June 4 in GameCube
Before you turn the system on, hold the Z button. Continue to hold it until the GameCube symbol begins to show. Instead of the usual sounds, it will have chimes, a baby's rattle, and a giggle. It laughs in the face of all those who called it a "kiddie... more
/10 with 407 votes
Posted Tuesday, May 20 in Mac OS X
Dates of History
1. Go to Applications folder on your Hard Drive
2. Look for Mail
3. ctrl-Click the app and choose "Show package"
4. Look inside for folder Contents - Resources
5. Look for "senders.tiff" and open it with Preview
6. After seconds you can... more
/10 with 56 votes
Posted Thursday, March 16 in Mac OS X
1. Open "Terminal.app" located in the Applications > Utilities folder on your Hard Drive.
Hearts Card Look (NOT AN EGG)
2. At the prompt paste the following: cat /usr/share/calendar/calendar.history
This is a list of significant dates in history, one for every day of the year.
/10 with 1940 votes
Posted Sunday, March 5 in Windows 98
Easter Egg and Taxi
1. Press Start Button and then press "Run".
2. Type "regedit".
3. Goto: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Hearts
4. Insert a new String called "ZB".
5. Then Type "42" as String.
6. Start Hearts
7. Press CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+F12... more
/10 with 949 votes
Posted Thursday, July 15 in Palm OS
AmigaOS 3.X Easter Eggs
1. Go to Preferences, General Tab
2. Draw a small circle, counter-clockwise, on the screen right above the calculator silk-screen button. If done properly, you should see an Easter Egg appear.
3. Now, hold down the page down button in any application... more
/10 with 55 votes
Posted Wednesday, December 13 in Amiga
Special Kernel Functions
1. Turn on your 3.x Amiga and boot into workbench.
2. Make sure you have less than 16 processes / windows open.
3. Hold down all ctrl, alt and shift keys. (a friend could be useful here)
4. Start opening About boxes, the 16th one should have credits... more
/10 with 74 votes
Posted Tuesday, July 4 in BeOS
Spinal Tap Audio Panel
Two special system calls are defined in "/boot/develop/headers/be/kernel/OS.h" at line 551. One is "is_computer_on()". The other is "is_computer_on_fire()". Programmers can use these function to insure that the computer is on and is not...err...burning.... more
/10 with 52 votes
Posted Thursday, July 15 in Irix
1. Bring up a shell
Handspring Visor - Cartwheeling "Flip" Guy
2. Type "audiopanel -spinaltap"
3. Look at the scales on your new audiopanel
/10 with 157 votes
Posted Thursday, January 4 in Palm OS
1. Go to the main category.
Printer on Fire!
2. while holding the up button tap the time tab next to the battery indicator.
3. watch flip do cartwheels across the screen in color.
This works from other categories as well
/10 with 554 votes
Posted Sunday, July 25 in Linux
1. Using LINUX 2.2.1 (havent checked others), with bidirectional printer support
2. Print from the network and force a printer jam (tear a corner off a piece of paper and put back into th printer)
3. Issue a print command
4. Watch the output of... more